Sunday, April 27, 2008

Shifting gears

So, several conversations, several days lacking news posts and several bouts of frustration later, I've decided to take this blog in a new direction.

This was mainly started as a bit of an experiment -- a way to get used to the informality and conversational style of blogging. I feel I've failed miserably at both and that it would be best to take this post up from the bottom-dwelling subject that is my own personal thoughts and feelings to a level less self-absorbed and boring.

I also became disenchanted with the idea of discussion through blogging. From what I can see, there is very little actual conversing and even less that is edifying. An atmosphere in which outrageous insults are thrown for merely expressing an opinion (however uneducated or naive it might be) is not a sphere in which I would like to call myself a member.

Without further ado, in the next few weeks, I'll begin posting about one of my hobbies. I like to cook.

It has always bothered me how there will be left-over ingredients from some recipe in amounts not usable for another round of whatever dish called for them in the first place. So, from time to time, I take such ingredients and try to come up with something new to do with them. Sometimes it's a surprising success, other times it's a complete wash.

Before I go much further I should say that I am wholly amateur in this cooking endeavor. I have no formal training save for the instruction provided by my mother. It's simply an enjoyment of mine to take an assortment of "castoffs" and make something entirely unexpected and tasty from them.

As this develops, I hope shortcuts and cheats will expose themselves so I can further my ability to ad lib in the kitchen. Take notes at your own risk.

No comments: