Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Let me eat cake

I took my first shot at making Bavarian cream not too long ago. The recipe made me drool with anticipation, so I had to try it. Raspberry Bavarian, dark chocolate cake and chocolate sauce in a layer cake is no joke.

It was time-consuming. Had I not skipped making the chocolate cake myself in favor of using a mix, I might have spent the entire day on this project.

One big headache about Bavarian cream is using unflavored gelatin. Jell-o is easy since the sugars in it keep the granules separated and easy to manage. With unflavored gelatin, as soon as it hits liquid it globs up. I had a hell of a time trying to get it to dissolve.

Then I worried it wouldn't be solid enough. All reports said the raspberry Bavarian was very good, but I want to try again.

The worst part was the guilt. Here's this delicious cake sitting in the refrigerator mocking me every time I opened the door. "Eat me," it begged. But you're so fattening!

Meanie.

No comments: