Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sesa-mmm good

I love sesame. It's one of my favorite flavors. It's light, but somehow almost nutty. It goes along with meat and vegetables alike. I don't care if it's sesame butter, sesame oil or sesame seeds, my mouth is watering. (Sesame Street, not so much)

So tonight, I finally gave an idea a shot.

I took some sesame oil I had and sprinkled it over some pieces of chicken along with a few splashes of balsamic vinegar and a little bit of honey. I was thinking of the flavors you find in Chinese food, but without following a recipe.

Then, I coated the chicken in a mixture of flour, seasoned bread crumbs and sesame seeds. This time, I fried it in a pan. Next time, I think I'll bake it.

Oh, did it turn out delicious. The chicken was incredibly moist. There was just a hint of the sesame oil and none of the vinegar. I couldn't have planned that better. The flour mixture I used to coat the chicken didn't stick as well as I would have liked, but I hardly mind. It was damn tasty.

If I can find a way to make the flour mixture stick better, I will. Maybe adding a little egg would help. Either way, I think baking will keep the fat level down and still produce some mighty tasty chicken. It would go great with some seasoned wild rice or even some white rice and soy sauce.

It was a little weird when I cleaned up. Washing the pan I fried the chicken in smelled a little like coffee. I guess roasted seeds tend toward the same scent. Either way, it made me think the chicken would go great with a cup of strong black coffee.

I'd make this dish again. It was damn good for winging it.

No comments: